Shopping Cart

Friday 16 March 2012

TIME FOR PORTRAITS

We should rather speak of 'human portraits' because it is far easier to paint a 'buffalo portrait'.  Buffaloes do not have access to the Internet to check their portraits out and thus it is easier for the artist to capture them on paper or canvas.  
These two portraits I sketched using a grid.

THE OKOVANGO FOOD GATHERER

The picture/photo I found on a Botswana site.  There was no copyright on and I was free to paint it.  A pity really because I would have loved to make mention of the kind photographer.

Her smile in reality is much wider.  

This was my first portrait.  One day I will try her again.

SAMUEL, THE GARDENER

The second portrait was of Samuel, Gardiner.
I have a more special feeling towards this portrait because I actually knew Samuel.
We shared him wit a few other gardens a few years ago.
He worked in gardens after he had retired as a gardener from one of the cities' botanical gardens.
He was a talker.  I have fond memories of conversations with Samuel under the large trees in the cool garden.  "No, we can talk" he used to say, "I work fast."
I would often peep out at the window seeing him "working fast" as he talked to another by passer!
Now Samuel has really retired.


No comments:

Post a Comment